Goldfish Water Safety Questions & Answers
1. Give examples of whistle signals used in your pool with their meaning ?
Answer: The answer is Specific to the centre. For our pool, 1 long blast means clear the pool, 1 short blast to attract lifeguard and 2 short blasts to indicate lifeguard is entering the water.
2. Why you should you walk and not run on the poolside ?
Answer: Running is dangerous on the poolside as it may be slippery and is likely to result
in a person slipping and falling which may cause injury.
3. How do you know where the shallow end of the pool is ?
Answer: There are signs around the pool on the wall informing swimmers how deepthe water is.
4. When would you go to the toilet ?
Answer: Pupils should go to the toilet prior to the lesson and ask to leave the pool if the lesson has started.
5. If you have long hair what should you do with it before entering the water ?
Answer: Long hair should be covered by a swimming hat or tied back
6. If you wear Jewellery what would you do with it ?
Answer: Jewellery should be removed prior to swimming and left at home or stored in a
safe place at the pool.
7. When and how would you enter the pool ?
Answer: Pupils should enter the water only when instructed to do so by the teacher.
A safe method of entry should be used.
8. What are the depths of your pool ?
Answer: It is specific to the centre. The teaching pool varies from 0.6 metres to 1 metre
and the main pool is 0.9 metres deep down the shallow end and 2 metres
deep down the deep end.
9. Who would you tell if someone has an accident at the pool ?
Answer: The teacher of the class, a lifeguard or another responsible person.
10. What are you not allowed to do at the swimming pool ?
Answer: Pupils should not: Eat chewing gum, run on the pool side, enter the water
until instructed, leave a class without telling anyone, and dive, unless instructed to do so.
11. What colour uniform do your lifeguards wear ?
Answer: This is specific to the centre- for our pool, either Yellow or red.
12. What should be done to equipment when the teacher has finished with it ?
Answer: After use equipment should be placed tidily on the poolside in case needed again.
13. Why do we need to know which is the shallow end of your pool ?
Answer: This is necessary in the interest of safety. It is important to know the depth of the waterfor various activites.
14. What should you do if the alarm sounds at the swimming pool ?
Answer: If the alarm sounds you should immediately leave the pool and await instructions from teacher and lifeguard.
15. What should you do after you have been swimming ?
Answer: After swimming the pupils should shower, dry them selves dress and rinse out their swimming costumes in clean water as soon as possible.
16. What jewellery is allowed at your pool ?
Answer: The only jewellery, which should be worn in a swimming pool, is a medic
alert bracelet or necklace.
17. Who should you tell if you need to go to the toilet ?
Answer: If the pupils want to go the toilet during a lesson they should ask the teacher for
permission to leave the pool.